Page header image

Poisonous Plants

Some household and many garden plants are poisonous if they are eaten. Follow these guidelines to keep children safe until they are old enough to understand that they should not eat any part of a plant unless you say it’s OK.

  • Keep poisonous plants out of reach.
  • Keep an eye on children when they are outdoors.
  • Before you buy plants, check with someone at the garden center to find out if they might be poisonous.
  • Get to know the poisonous plants found in your area.

Potentially poisonous plants include:


angel's trumpet     four o'clock           philodendron
apple seeds         foxglove               poinsettia
autumn crocus       golden chain           poison hemlock
baneberry           horse chestnut         poison ivy
belladonna lilly      tree                 poison oak
black locust        hyacinth               pokeweed
bleeding heart      hydrangea              potato (eyes, stems, 
bloodroot           inkberry                 spoiled parts)
buttercups          iris                   privet
caladium            jack-in-the-pulpit     rhododendron
castor bean         lady's slipper         rhubarb leaves
cherry tree         lantana                rosary pea
chinaberry tree     larkspur               skunk cabbage
Christmas rose      lily of the            snake root
cowslip               valley               sneezeweed
daffodil            lupine                 snow-on-the-mountain
daphne              mayapple               snowdrop
deadly amanita      milkweed               sourdock
death camas         mistletoe              sweetpea
dieffenbachia       monkshood              sumac
elderberry          moonseed               tobacco
elephant's ear      morning glory          tomato (leaves)
English holly       mountain laurel        water hemlock
English ivy         narcissus              wisteria
false hellebore     nettle                 yellow jasmine
fig tree            nightshade             yew
fly agaric          oleander               
  mushroom          peach tree             

It’s possible for any plant to make a child sick, even if the plant is not poisonous. If a child eats a plant and you have any questions, call your regional poison control center.

Developed by RelayHealth.
Pediatric Advisor 2013.2 published by RelayHealth.
Last modified: 2012-10-04
Last reviewed: 2012-07-03
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional.
© 2013 RelayHealth and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Page footer image