Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are plants that are found throughout North America. Leaves, stems, roots and berries of all of these plants cause the same type of skin rash. More than 50% of people are sensitive to the oil of these plants.
The rash is very itchy and can have streaks or patches of redness and blisters on exposed body surfaces (such as the hands). The rash appears 1 or 2 days after you have been exposed to the plant in a forest or field.
The rash usually lasts 2 weeks. Treatment reduces the symptoms but does not cure the rash.
If you think you have had contact with one of these plants, wash the exposed areas of skin with any available soap for 5 minutes. Take special care to clean under your fingernails. Do this as soon as possible because after 1 hour it is too late to prevent the oil from absorbing into the skin.
Soak the area with the rash in cold water or massage it with an ice cube for 20 minutes as often as necessary. Let it air dry after the soaking or massage. This will reduce itching and oozing.
If applied early, a steroid cream can reduce the itching. Buy some nonprescription 1% hydrocortisone cream. Your provider may recommend a stronger prescription steroid cream.
The sores should be dried up and no longer itchy in 10 to 14 days. In the meantime, cut your fingernails short and try not to scratch the rash.
Severe or widespread poison ivy requires oral steroids to bring it under control. Take the medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
If itching persists, take Benadryl orally (no prescription needed) 50 mg every 6 hours as needed.
The fluid from the sores themselves cannot spread the rash. However, oil or sap from the poisonous plant may stay on your pet's fur or on your clothes or shoes. This oil or sap remains as an irritant for about a week. Be sure to wash it off clothes or pets with soap and water.
Poison sumac has 7 to 13 leaves per stem, grows in swamps in the southeast U.S., and is harder to recognize.
Call during office hours if: